Sunday, July 29, 2007

GPS Notes

GPS navigation systems, like most programmable tools, i.e. PCs, alarm clock radios, VCRs, PVRs, etc., usually work well and does what it's programmed to do. I would say, other than a hardware failure, they hardly fail to do what you programmed them to do. GIGO ;-)

My Garmin c330 Street Pilot has been a blessing to me since I received it as a Christmas gift from my children, Paul, Pam, and Trish.

It was a big help to us as when we navigated our way to Disney Wolrd, Orlando, Florida last summer. It's also been a big blessing to us as we navigated our way to NJ, which will be our home base for the next few days as we plan to visit and see as much as we can, New York City / Manhattan.

Glitch

Some confusion, leading to fear of getting sucked into the Lincoln Tunnel, came about as the GPS took as almost all the way to the final destination, until we were sort of left to ourselves to navigate ;-), that's when it stopped to navigate since it claims we have reached our destination when in fact we were still on Highway 3 moving towards signs pointing us to the Lincoln Tunnel.

Human Error

We made it to our hotel, by the grace of God. The data that I entered, specifically the address coordinates of the destination, our hotel, was incorrect. Even as I checked with Google Maps (wi-fi internet in our hotel), I found out that Google maps were pointing, plotting, to a wrong address / coordinate. I referred to Google Maps to locate the address coordinates I used with the GPS. Even Marv committed the same mistake. And when I checked the POI (points of interest) programmed and stored in the GPS memory, I found that the address was not complete either.

Lesson learned

Always double check your address coordinates, cross reference it with an actual map.

Nevertheless, I thank my God for keeping as safe and secure all the way. He is good all the time.

Romans 8:28 says:

"28And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him,[j] who[k] have been called according to his purpose."

Amen!

No comments: