Saturday, August 06, 2005

IBM hires studious Filipina maid as technician

IBM hires studious Filipina maid as technician



FILIPINA maid Jourgina Dagoplo, who graduated from the Institute of Technical Education two weeks ago after her employers paid for night classes, has landed a job with IBM.

The IT giant invited her for an interview last Thursday, after reading her story in The Straits Times.

IBM said she had passed the interview and would be offered a two-year contract as a technician.

An IBM spokesman said: “She is hardworking and demonstrates a good attitude and passion towards work. These are the characteristics of any employee we want to hire.”

Dagoplo, 32, who studied electronics, is now waiting for the Manpower Ministry to approve her new work permit.

When that happens, she will be working from 7am to 3pm and earning twice her current S$520 (RM1,185) salary.

“The money will make a big difference to my family in the Philippines. But I’m more excited about starting a new job and learning new things,” said Dagoplo, who supports her farmer parents and seven younger siblings in Mindanao.

Still, it is her “family” in Singapore who have touched her most.

“My Sir took me for the interview and my Madam waited with me because I was quite nervous as it was my first formal job interview,” said Dagoplo of her employers, who tutored her when she had problems with her school subjects.

“They are even more excited than me. When the story came out, they scanned it to send to their relatives abroad,” she said.

She will continue to stay with Dr Richard Ng and his family after she joins IBM.

Dagoplo said she would continue doing household chores for the Ngs to repay their kindness. – The Straits Tims/ANN

4 comments:

Lito G. Espinosa said...

comment emailed to me by jojo, from my high school batch mates yahoo! group

Wow! Itong quality ng mga Pinoy na ito ang makakataba ng puso. She was very blessed to have such a caring employer na nagpaaral pa sa kanya.

jojo

lengirl said...

wow, how inspiring! nakaka-touch naman ang story na yan tito lits. she's indeed blessed to have such wonderful employers, and it's nice to know that her hardwork is being recognized. with that kind of attitude, i'm sure she'll go far!

D@phneL@ur@ said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog! I agree this is a very inspirational story. More power to filipinos like her! :)

Lito G. Espinosa said...

heart warming indeed or nakakataba ng puso :)