Monday, August 15, 2005

Mundane stuff - Cycling upgrade, so far


Continental Tire Set Attack Force


Ultegra SPD-R Pedal


Ksyrium Equipe wheelset - yes, ksyriumly speaking

Earlier this year Uncle Pilo upgraded to the Ksyrium Elite wheel set. I ended up buying his almost year old Ksyrium Equipe together with the already installed Maxxis Pro road tire.

On one of our rides in Montreal I ran over a pothole, dead on, and puff, the rear tire got damaged. Fortunately the wheel / rim wasn't affected. We were able to get back home, hobbling on a damaged rear tire, but still holding air (tube was not punctured). Amazingly, we were still able to average around 25kph heading back.

Which brings me to my recent upgrade, the Continental Attack Force Road tire set. The Ksyrium wheelset have been sidelined for some time because I was not able to buy a replacement tire immediately - expensive, that's why.

Also, I decided to upgrade, after many years, to a pair of road pedals. I chose the Shimano Ultegra SPD-R. Of course, together with that came a new pair of road cycling shoes. The bonus here was that I got a free / complimentary fitting from the guy who owns the bike store, Cycle Roberts, Pierre Poulet. He fitted the pedals, cleats, checked out my bike fitting, seat, pedaling, etc. He even showed me the proper way of 'sweeping', better use of the other leg muscles when you pedal your bike.

1 comment:

Lito G. Espinosa said...

definitely there is an improvement with using the new pedals and shoes (stiffer), the tires too, specially noticeable, with the slicker size 22 for the front tire, better control, more responsive

most everyone here, specially in the stores, speak english - kaya spokening in english ako sa kanila. yung aking francais, kung anong konti ang alam ko, is more for emergency :)