Tuesday, November 09, 2004

In the shoes of a divorced dad

The first time I read the following lines I was moved and felt sadness for the men that go through this daily. If you, men, know someone in the shoes of a divorced dad, reach out to him.

In the shoes of a divorced dad

Play of the Day subscriber Don Mathis wrote the following:

“Though I’m not there to turn off the light,
To tuck you in and kiss you goodnight,
To read a book, or get you a drink,
It’s you I love, and of you I think.

If you were here, I’d give you a squeeze,
And ask if you could give me one please.
So to the day we’d say our good-byes.
As we lay down and close our eyes.”

The plight of a divorced dad is overwhelmingly sad.

But if you know of a man that’s in that position, you can help. Listen. Invite him over for dessert. Walk a mile in his shoes. Learn their life by reading books from http://www.allprodad.com/divorcedandsingledadeStore.asp Be there. There’s nothing so sharp as the pain a loving father feels when he cannot be a part of his children’s everyday life. Let’s help them the best we can.

2 comments:

lengirl said...

such a touching poem! often we think that only moms get affected by a divorce, but men actually hurt about it too more than we think.

Lito G. Espinosa said...

Hello Len,

I was choking up inside while I was reading the article for the first time.

I can feel for the father who is separated from his children, due to marital separation or divorced, who longs to be with his child or children.

I am very close to my kids and I can only imagine what it's like to be apart from them, particularly in a situation such as being divorced or separated and the mother has custody, and adding salt to the wound, having a limited, restricted access to your children.

It is very sad. I am reminded to be sensitive to men in my circle of acquaintances that may be in a similar situation and to reach out to them.

I really appreciate you checking out my blog every now and then.

Best regards to everyone,

Tito Lits